Language and communication
Language and communication starts in the womb. Talking to your child every day, even in the womb helps your child to develop communication and language skills.
Camden Kids top tips to support communication and language
Try these simple and everyday activities to support your child aged 0 to 5:
- talk to your baby during pregnancy, they will listen and start recognising your voice
- talk face-to-face and look into their eyes
- talk in your strongest language, or multiple languages if you speak more than one
- talk about things that catch their interest
- talk about every day things like having a bath or tidying up
- sing rhymes or share picture books and stories
- talk about how you think your child is feeling
- add extra words to what your child says to help them form sentences
Communication and language resources
- for advice on communication, watch Camden Kids Talk 10 top tips for talking video
- Camden Kids Talk: Language and Communication resources for Mums, Dads, and Carers
- BBC Tiny Happy People has a range of fun activities to support your child’s early communication and language development
Join your local library and enjoy a story together
Rhyme time and storytime sessions are free to join at your local Camden library. Enjoy a story, sing songs or borrow a book to share a story at home. You can also meet other mums, dads and carers.
Book sharing can support your child’s language and communication development. You can get reading guidance and 2 free packs of books from Bookstart:
- Baby Bookstart, gifted to babies at the new baby contact visit
- Treasure pack, gifted at nurseries for children aged 3
Check how your child is developing
When your child is close to their first birthday you will be invited to attend a development check by the Health Visiting Team.
At the check, a member of the health visiting team will talk to you about your child’s communication skills and track their progress. You will then be given ideas on how to help your child’s development at home.
If your child needs support to develop their communication, you will be invited to Camden Tiny Talkers
This is a targeted 4-week group which includes fun activities to support your child’s communication and language development. It is led by specially trained Stay and Play staff with support with from Speech and Language Therapists.
If you would like to be contacted to discuss your child’s communication and language development please email [email protected]
We will contact you to see how we can help.