Help with money
We can support you if you need help with money or the costs of having a child.
Get a benefits check
Visit the GOV.UK website to check which benefits are available to you.
Once you've completed a benefits check, we can support if you need help to:
- understand which benefits to claim
- apply for benefits or appeal against a decision
- calculate if it's better to work or not
If you need support with benefits, visit your local children’s centre or contact us for help.
If you're pregnant, you may be able to get a £500 payment towards the cost of having a child.
To receive the grant, you will usually need to be both:
- expecting your first child or a multiple birth, such as twins
- receiving certain benefits
You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of the baby's due date or within 6 months after the baby's birth.
Visit GOV.UK to check if you are eligible and apply for a maternity grant.
Help to buy food and milk
If you are pregnant or have children under 4, you may be able to get help to buy healthy food and milk.
To be eligible, you must receive certain other benefits, such as Universal Credit, Child Tax Credit or Income Support.
Find out if you are eligible and apply on the Healthy Start website.
Find out about help with childcare costs.
Free school meals
If you have school age children, they may be eligible for free school meals.
Finding work or training
If you are pregnant or have a child under 5, Good Work Camden can help you:
- find and apply for jobs
- write a CV and prepare for interviews
- find training courses or apprenticeships and discuss funding options
- get volunteering experience to build your skills
To get support from Good Work Camden: